The two-year pilot project helps these women take control of their lives and reduce the risks of unplanned pregnancy. YouCanBe stems from our Mpower service, and other similar services across the UK, suggesting a need for a preventative model.
This innovative early intervention service is funded by Ormiston Trust and Suffolk Public Health to inspire young women, build self-esteem and resilience for a better future.
"I felt listened to, not judged. They never turned their back on me." Service user
Often these women have a complex set of needs and behaviours that make them vulnerable to progressing positively in their lives. This could include being in care or a care leaver, having drug or alcohol misuse problems, mental health issues, or having a learning disability. These issues are also extended to domestic abuse, being NEET or making poor contraceptive and relationship choices.
We offer the following:
- One-to-one intensive long-term support which is bespoke and client led
- Support and advice around and accessing appropriate contraception
- Relationship and sex education - either one-to-one or in a group setting
- Advice on building positive persistent, reliable and boundaried relationships
- Support to build self-esteem and self-awareness which will allow the young women to increase their capacity to think critically and make measured decisions for themselves
- Support to access targeted services such as counselling or mentoring
- Support to address their practical needs such as education, housing or health
For more information on YouCanBe, email YouCanBe@ormistonfamilies.org.uk.
T: 01473 724517