[Skip to Content]

Privacy notice for children and young people using our services

What is a privacy notice?

This is a privacy notice, it is about the information we collect about you. We have to have this by law (General Data Protection Regulation, May 2018) so you know what we do with information we have about you.

All of us at Ormiston Families want to make sure all the personal details we hold about you are safe and secure, so we have put together this notice to tell you how we do that and what you can do if you have any questions or want to see what information we have.








What do we record?

We record basic information about who you are, where you live, which Ormiston Families service you are using, why you are using that service and about the work that we are doing with you. As we might be supporting you, there are things our practitioners would need to know to help them do that. This could be quite sensitive and personal information about what has happened and how you are doing.

We get this information from you but if you are under 13 then your parent or carer has to give it to us on your behalf.

Why do we need to keep files?

We keep records to record how we have worked with you, and they help us decide how best we can help you, as well as assessing how successful we have been in helping you.

Who can see my record?

  • Staff at the service you use
  • Some senior managers at Ormiston Families
  • Official inspectors might look at your record and check that Ormiston Families is doing the work it is supposed to be doing and ensuring we are keeping accurate records
  • Representatives from the Local Authority/Commissioner who have asked us to deliver a service to you on their behalf, but only if they need to. The representatives would only do this to assure themselves – and you – that our work is continuing as it should.

Sharing information

We will always ask you if you are happy for us to share your record with other services and professionals that work with you. We will always respect your wishes if you do not consent to us sharing information except:

  • When we share information with another agency as part of the contract for the service. We will tell you whenever this applies.
  • When we are delivering the service on behalf of another organisation; again we will explain to you what this means when we first meet you.
  • When we believe you are at risk where someone else may be at risk, for example child protection, safeguarding.
  • When we are legally required to share the information, for example following a court order.

How do I go about seeing my information?

You can see your records and receive copies at any time by completing a subject access request form  and sending it to privacyofficer@ormistonfamilies.org.uk. Once the request has been received service manager will arrange for you to look through your file in the presence of a member of staff.  The staff member can answer questions and note any changes you think should be made to the record.   Once a subject access request is received Ormiston Families must respond within 30 days.  We will not charge you for this information.

Can any part of the file be withheld from me?

Sometimes the service receives information from someone (e.g. a doctor) that is written in confidence. When this happens we have to obtain the agreement of the person providing the information before sharing it with you. On very rare occasions we might withhold some of the information because it could seriously harm you to see it. Sometimes we may not be able to share information about other people that appear on your file as we need to protect their privacy too.

What happens to files when I stop using a service?

The file will be closed and kept by Ormiston Families for a minimum of six years.  It may be kept longer if policy or law requires this but will be kept for no longer than necessary.  Throughout this time you will have the right to see the information kept on you.

If Ormiston Families is delivering the service on behalf of another organisation, then sometimes the responsibility for the files returns to that organisation at the end of the contract with them.  We will always let you know when this happens.  

Can I ask you to delete/amend my information?

You have the right to ask for your personal information to be deleted or for it to be amended. Please email the privacyofficer@ormistonfamilies.org.uk to make a request for us to delete/amend your record.  There are times when we are not able to do this in relation to a specific contract or where there are potential safeguarding issues.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the process, or with what is in my file?

If you do not see your file within 30 days of asking to do so or have any other complaints about the contents of your file you can contact the Ormiston Families Privacy Officer. Your service manager can advise you on how to do this.

You can also complain to the Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF. Helpline: 0303 123 1113